General Practitioner - Cooktown
Health Workforce Queensland
Cairns City, QLD
General Practitioner This position is RVTS endorsed as a location for RVTS targeted recruitment in 2019. Town Information: Cooktown is a Tropical Coastal town in Far North Queensland. Service town for Cape York Peninsula. Cooktown has a population of around 4,000 in the area. The main industries in the Cook Shire are Tourism, fishing, and Farming. The main employers in Cooktown are the council, health services and hospitality. PRACTICE PROFILE: Group Practice with mixed billing PRACTICE HOURS Monday to Friday 8:30 am - 5 pm Saturday 8:30 am - 11 am HOME VISITS Home visits are available at the doctors discretion for regular patients of the practice who are unable to attend the surgery due to their medical condition. AFTER-HOURS Provided by Cooktown MPHS SERVICES AVAILABLE
- Family planning
- Pap smears
- Pregnancy tests
- Ante-natal care
- ECG: heart check
- Spirometry: lung test
- Immunisation: children, adults
- Minor surgery
- 'Freezing' for sunspots, warts
- Weight control
- Nutrition advice
- Skin checks
- Closing the Gap Registration
- Indigenous Health
- Providing skilled health assessment, diagnosis and treatment services to patients.
- Ordering diagnostic tests as needed and checking and informing patients of results in accordance with the practice's procedure.
- Referring patients appropriately to other providers if their needs exceed the range of care you are able to provide.
- Consulting and collaborating with colleagues to provide optimal care.
- Maintaining professional knowledge and standards through continuing medical education and personal professional development.
- Having a working knowledge of legislation and standards of general practice.
- Maintaining a current cardiopulmonary resuscitation certificate.
- Practicing medicine in a way that reflects the company's values and mission.
- Providing services courteously and respectfully, with regard to the cultural beliefs and needs of patients.
- Responding openly and following up complaints or feedback.
- Collaborating with regards to rosters and providing cover to ensure patients' needs are met.
- Working constructively and harmoniously with all staff to ensure patients receive optimal care.
- Involvement in practice accreditation activities.
- Participating in centre-based audits and activities.
- Charging for consultations in accordance with the practice's policy.
- Declaring vested interests in services to which you may refer patients.
- Returning telephone calls in a timely manner.
- Reporting 'events' or untoward incidents in accordance with professional obligations and practice policy.
- Other general practitioners and associates
- Demonstrate a knowledge of and compliance with all relevant legislation and common law obligations.
- Discharge of duty of care in the course of practice including meeting practice standards, and accountability..
- Demonstrate patient-focused approach in service provision with genuine empathy and interest in their needs.
- Maintain absolute confidentiality regarding patient and practice information..
- Demonstrate an ability to work cooperatively and independently, and the ability to prioritize and organise.
- Demonstrate commitment to ongoing professional development.
- Registration as a medical practitioner with the Medical Board of Australia.
- Current medical indemnity insurance.
- Current Driver's Licence.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: