Part Time Laboratory Assistant
Taylors College, Waterloo, Sydney
At Taylors College, we put students at the heart of everything we do. Taylors College is a well-established, leading college in Australia and New Zealand. We provide world class, specialised programs in university preparation and secondary school education. With over 90 years of experience in the education industry, we have achieved unparalleled success in preparing students for their university study.
We are seeking a part Time Laboratory Assistant for our Waterloo campus in Sydney. The successful candidate will offer support to the teaching staff in providing the best education possible for all students.
The Science Laboratory Assistant works closely with the Head of Science and the staff to ensure the Science curriculum is able to be delivered efficiently and safely at all times throughout the year.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Science Laboratory Assistant will be expected to liaise with the Head of Science and the teachers of Science to ensure they carry out the following duties and responsibilities efficiently:
- Liaise with science teaching staff on their needs for practical work and maintain an efficient system for use and allocation of materials and equipment, setting a priority system where necessary.
- Advise science teaching staff on technical components of curriculum
- Assist science teaching staff with demonstrations
- Assist science teaching staff in instructing students on use/care of equipment during science experiments.
- Advise and assist science teaching staff in safety matters relating to the science laboratory.
- Demonstrate laboratory techniques to science teaching staff/students
- Assist with the use of computers and learning technologies within the department
Preparation and Maintenance
- Prepare solutions, stains and necessary materials for use in the laboratory.
- Maintain a safe chemical storage/handling/disposal system in accordance with current regulations.
- Assist with security of science laboratory and equipment.
- Maintain an inventory of equipment
- Acquire relevant catalogues and price lists.
- Assist with labelling using the current GHS labelling system, storage, stocktaking and ordering of equipment and chemicals.
- Manufacture/ improvise simple glassware/general equipment for laboratory use.
- Service and clean simple laboratory apparatus/equipment.
- Develop maintenance procedures for laboratory equipment
- Care for flora and fauna within the science department, in accordance with current handling and prevention of cruelty regulations.
- Collect and maintain living specimens (in accordance with regulations)
- Collect off campus scientific materials and field samples, utilising the school vehicle.
- Liaise with organisations and industries for purpose of acquiring equipment, etc.
- Liaise with other schools to share resources.
Candidates for this role should ideally be able to address the following selection criteria:
- Working towards an undergraduate or post graduate science degree – essentially having studied Chemistry
- Legal work rights for Australia
- Previous lab experience would be an advantage
- Have a current WWCC (Working with Children Check)
- Have a current First Aid Certificate
Working hours: 16 hrs a week
Hourly rate: $25
Start date: 3rd February 2020
Sounds like you?
If you have a passion for education and be part of a fast paced environment – a job at Taylors College is for you!
Interested applicants should apply with a cover letter and current CV by 10th December 2019.
For more information please visit www.taylorscollege.edu.au
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of their applications
- Study Group Australia is an equal opportunity employer
Study Group is a global leader in preparing students for international academic success and rewarding careers through a transformational learning experience. The universities we work with trust us to increase their international footprint, access student diversity and provide assured progression, so they can continue to focus on academic excellence.
The position holder must comply with Study Group policies and applicable laws including those in relation, but not limited to: General Data Protection Regulation; Work Health and Safety; Anti-Discrimination and Harassment, Anti-Bribery and Corruption and those specifically relevant to the position and authority of the job holder.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: